A credit union and financial services company with over $4 billion in assets is seeking an Underwriting Supervisor in Anaheim on a direct hire basis.
The Underwriting Supervisor reports to the Underwriting Manager and is responsible for engaging a high performing, talented, and diverse workforce to enable functional group efficiencies, service excellence, credit effectiveness, and a positive Member experience. The position is expected to lead and inspire the Underwriting Team who are engaged in evaluating, approving/denying mortgage loan applications according to business standards. Effectively manage risk in accordance with Credit Union credit and risk tolerance guidelines. Develop and strengthen relationships within all channels. Define and implement plans to achieve production and service goals. Must maintain an exemplary Member service oriented attitude with the ability to work effectively in a Team environment.
- Responsible for the efficient management of daily workflow for the assigned pipeline to ensure tasks are being completed, daily volume is completed, balancing work load (load leveling) when necessary.
- Collaborate with other Managers and Supervisors to ensure common goals are reached and conflicts resolved collectively and expeditiously.
- Must make sure any and all exceptions are noted in every loan file. Review every exception to ensure each is valid and documented.
- Provide clear and prompt communication on credit related policies and procedures, requirements and performance expectations thru routine group and/or individual meetings with staff.
- Provide review and “second signature” for staff underwriters. Perform random file reviews to ensure loans are being approved within guidelines.
- Interact daily with the Managers, Supervisors, and Mortgage Loan Officers (MLOs) to provide support in answering questions, resolving problems, and assisting as needed in qualifying loans.
- Interact daily with Managers, Supervisors, and Mortgage Loan Officers (MLOs) and staff of partner credit unions to provide support in answering questions, resolving problems, and assisting as needed in qualifying loans.
- Coordinate with Team members to maintain an underwriting “Help Desk.”
- Be the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for all departmental procedures, functions, and credit issues.
- Monitor all departmental processes, procedures, and output to guarantee exceptional member service.
- Underwrite confidential employee loans and high profile rush loans.
- Maintain loan quality assurance/quality control.
- Act as a backup and/or otherwise assist the Underwriting Manager.
- Supervise staff to ensure Member service levels and goals are met.
- Actively participate in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of staff.
- Ensures that critical dates are met on all loans, anticipate issues before they become problems and take proactive action quickly and when needed. Own the problem and resolve it.
- Actively assist staff with timely problem resolutions to ensure all demands with regard to rate lock expiration's, purchase contract contingencies and closing dates are met.
- Responsible for the direct oversight of Underwriter’s performance and adherence to all applicable rules and regulations governing the mortgage loan process, including investor guidelines. Provides mentoring, coaching and counseling as appropriate to develop staff. May assist with progressive disciplining of staff up to and including termination.
- Supports administration of the real estate budget and ensures expense control in all areas including salaries and overtime.
- May participate on project teams at the department/organization level.
- Develops, recommends, and implements changes to improve Member service levels, production methods, system performance, and quality of product to meet changing demands and performance metrics.
- Maintains a dynamic and cooperative relationship with other Managers and Supervisors to develop and maintain smooth operational transitions.
- Consistently demonstrates an exceptional service philosophy in all interactions with Members, prospective Members, and all third-party relationships (credit unions, realtors, title companies, property appraisers, etc.).
- Ensures that the physical environment is maintained according to company standards and that staff appearance reflects the desired level of professionalism.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fluid environment and be held to meet minimum production standards for self and staff.
- Knowledge of Credit Union operations and ability to integrate and communicate critical information to members, vendors, and other team members.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated interpersonal skills necessary to manage and motivate a group of people.
- Thorough knowledge of residential mortgage lending products and procedures.
- Proven knowledge of compliance and disclosure requirements.
- Proven knowledge of closing, post-closing and quality control responsibilities.
- In-depth knowledge of ATM/QM and CFPB requirements.
- Strong knowledge of FNMA/FHLMC, FHA, and VA guidelines and procedures.
- Excellent analytical skills; accuracy, consistency, and completeness is critical.
- High integrity and outstanding work ethic required.
- High School diploma
- At least 5 years of mortgage underwriting experience.
- Prior experience with managing staff
- B.A/B.S. degree in related field
- 5+ years of mortgage underwriting experience.
- DE certification
- Proficiency in Accenture Mortgage Cadence (Prime Alliance), Symitar, and FICS systems.
- Strong computer skills, proficient with Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Proficient with Desktop Underwriter.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.